Natural & Synthetic Fiber Carpeting
Carpets are made from many fibres including synthetic (acrylic, nylon, polyester, viscose rayon) and natural (wool, silk and cotton). Avoid using carpet where there is moisture, for example, in kitchens and bathrooms.
Advantages of Carpet:
- Warm and soft on the feet.
- Absorbs sound.
- Wide choice of colours.
- Easy to install.
- Susceptible to damage from stains, spills and heavy traffic.
- The new carpet and underpadding odour can be problematic for several weeks for those with allergies or respiratory conditions.
- Carpets trap dust and dirt which can affect people with allergies and asthma.
- Durability depends on the quality, care, and use and whether the carpet is an area rug or a full room carpet.
- Consider the price of the carpet as a system which includes: carpet, underpadding, labour and disposal costs when replacement is needed. The quality and cost of carpet in the marketplace varies greatly.