Durable Ceramic Tile Floors
There are many different types of ceramic flooring. Ceramic tiles can be glazed or unglazed. Tiles that are glazed generally have a durable exterior coating that is more resistant to moisture. It is durable, easy to clean, non combustible and fire resistant. There is a wide range of quality in ceramic tiles.
Advantages of Ceramic Tile:
- A hard surface that is easy to clean and durable.
- Keeps its appearance over time.
- Resists moisture and stains and heavy traffic.
- Good for radiant floor heating.
- Ceramic flooring can be less comfortable to stand on for long periods of time.
- These floorings do not dampen sound and can contribute to acoustically noisy environments.
- Glazed ceramic tiles can become very slippery when wet. Consider low-slip tiles with more grip for areas that will frequently get wet.
- It is not always possible to get a perfect match after a tile is broken. Keep some spare tiles from the original installation.
- Ceramic tiles that are pale in colour with no minor grain or pattern can look dirty quickly.
- Ceramic tile cannot be laid over an OSB (oriented strand board) subfloor. The subfloor should be plywood or concrete.
- Ceramic tile will last much longer than other types of flooring, therefore resulting in cost savings. Installation is labour intensive and adds to the expense.